The University’s Student Union Board (SUB) held its annual “Dogs and Donuts” event on North Quad yesterday. The event, which lasted from 12 p.m.-2 p.m., provided students with two of the things that college students love most: animals and free food.Wei Lin | The Observer According to Kaya Moore, SUB’s director of programming, the event has gone through changes this year.“SUB normally does ‘Puppies and Pumpkins,’ which is basically the same thing except that we have it in October instead of November,” Moore said. “But we realized that there were just too many Halloween events going on this year, and we wanted to do something different.”Wei Lin | The Observer Moore said SUB had already planned to move the event to sometime in November, but when they saw that National Doughnut Day was Nov. 5, they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity.“We were a little late,” she said. “But it worked out.”Heartland Small Animal Rescue Fundraising Chair Jan Caudell said volunteers from the organization were working alongside Notre Dame SUB members, holding and showing off the dogs as the students interacted with them.Wei Lin | The Observer “I believe that being around the animals generally improves the welfare of the students,” Caudell said.She said the shelter hoped to do more than just provide the students animals to interact with. According to volunteer Barbara Sullivan, the shelter also hoped to raise awareness and recruit other volunteers.“We wanted to show off the dogs but also attract some volunteers for foster homes or walking the dogs,” Sullivan said. “Most of our volunteers are much older, and they don’t like to walk in the winter because they’re afraid they’ll slip, which is why we definitely need younger volunteers to help out.”Sullivan and others handed out business cards and shared information about volunteering while the students and pups interacted. She said the event went better than she could have hoped.“We were only expecting about four dogs to come,” Sullivan said. “We were really worried, actually, that no dogs would be able to come. But there actually ended up being more than 10, which is pretty amazing.”With their booth constantly restocking doughnuts for the Notre Dame students, the SUB event was the perfect way to, as Moore put it, “keep the students invested and happy.”As Caudell said, the event was an easy sell to students.“Who doesn’t love dogs and doughnuts?” she said.Tags: dogs, doughnuts, SUB
Over Thanksgiving break, a group of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s students went to the Standing Rock Sioux reservation in North Dakota to join the “water protectors” — many of which are Native Americans who have been there since August — in their fight against the Dakota Access Pipeline being built near their land. On Nov. 29, senior Jenn Cha — one of the Notre Dame allies who went to the reservation, along with four native students — started a Facebook page, Humans of Standing Rock, to share the stories of the indigenous people she met who are leading the movement. Sunday, the Department of the Army announced that it would not allow the Dakota Access pipeline to cross under Lake Oahe, the area in question. Courtesy of Jenn Cha “Water protectors” gather at the Standing Rock reservation in North Dakota.“It is a huge victory and it is a testament to the power of protest — this never would have happened without the protest — and especially those first four to five months before the media outburst, there was basically no media coverage,” Cha said. Cha said she is “cautiously optimistic.” Many of the leaders at Standing Rock have said they still have no plans to leave, despite being subjected to water cannons and non-lethal rubber rounds. Likewise, Cha is not leaving her photojournalism project. “I will continue with the page, because I still have a backlog,” she said. “I think it would be a mistake to say, ‘OK, we’ve proclaimed victory’ and move on to other things. I think we need to keep the momentum going.” Humans of Standing Rock, Cha said, is based off of Brandon Stanton’s Humans of New York photojournalism project. “I was surprised that something like Humans of Standing Rock didn’t exist already, because this movement has been going on since August,” she said. “Everything that did come out [of the media] was … ‘clashes with police,’ even though they’re peaceful protesters — that kind of rhetoric. I didn’t see much content that was created with the intent of humanizing people who were there. These are the people, this is why they’re here, here are their stories.”While the content the page is from Cha’s time at the reservation over Thanksgiving, she said she was “very open” to making it a collaborative project. “I was there for three to four days, and I talked to a lot of people, took photographs, recorded them, and I just created a huge backlog of photographs and interviews,” she said. “Obviously, I was only there three days — I don’t presume to say ‘my story is the only story.’ “I’m not native myself; I didn’t go to the ceremony areas, I didn’t go anywhere I wasn’t invited. There are a lot of stories I can’t tell, and if there are other photojournalists out there, I’d like them to reach out to me.” Currently, the Humans of Standing Rock Facebook page has almost 500 likes. “The crux is probably Notre Dame students,” Cha said. “But only about 200 out of the 500 are Facebook friends with me, so I only know half of them and where they’re from or anything. Hopefully, it’s spreading.” In addition to humanizing the people at Standing Rock, Cha said she hopes the page helps people realize that Standing Rock’s fight against the pipeline is not just a temporary situation. “This is an indigenous-led movement, and it’s a prayer movement,” she said. “I think that sometimes gets undercut by other news. … People from other places, other indigenous tribes, they’ve sold their things and come to be in solidarity. “It’s not like they’re camping there. They’re living there — that’s people’s lives. One of the people I interviewed said, ‘It is a movement in some ways, it’s a protest in some ways, but it’s our whole lives — if this pipeline went through, where would we go?’”Tags: Dakota Access Pipeline, dapl, Sioux Tribe, standing rock
By Dialogo February 22, 2011 The Peruvian Armed Forces Joint Command will have its first female contingent ready to participate in any peace-keeping mission in the world starting in the first half of 2011, the head of the Peru Company, Lt. Col. Dante Gallegos Rengifo, announced, highlighting the facts that this first group of twenty-three female officers comes from the Air Force and has received special training to work in war zones and areas struck by natural disasters. As he explained, the United Nations (UN) is expected to request the participation of the female contingent, whose work will be oriented more toward observation and social assistance than toward strictly military tasks. For example, he mentioned that the contingent will work in the areas of border monitoring, monitoring drug trafficking and child trafficking, smuggling, or direct monitoring of the civilian population. “In the second half of the year, we’ll have other female contingents that are being trained by the Army and Navy,” the officer in charge of the unit announced. He added that the deployment period of each contingent is six months, according to Peru’s agreement with the United Nations and in conformity with its institutional norms. Indeed, the Peru Company that he headed in Haiti spent half a year on the Caribbean island, with its members distributed in three bases along the border with the Dominican Republic. “We also had responsibilities in a camp for displaced persons, people who lost their homes in the January 2010 earthquake, with six thousand residents,” he specified. Gallegos Rengifo acknowledged, nonetheless, that the most difficult period was the one that coincided with November’s presidential election. “The stability in the country is not good; hence, the participation of the United Nations contingent, including the contingent from the Peru Company, has been very important, because it has guaranteed the smooth unfolding of the electoral process,” he noted.
“We’re just happy to be here and see people and be able to do this,” said owner Andrew Harpell. Owner Andrew Harpell said the decision to keep fans away was a tough, but one that needed to happen. Harpell told 12 News the speedway is included in Phase 4 of the New York Forward Plan. He hopes to see fans back in the stands in the next two weeks. This time around, things were a little different at the speedway, as no fans were allowed to attend due to the COVID-19 pandemic. “Strictly from a revenue standpoint it hurts,” Harpell said. “It’s an expensive hobby for these race teams, and we wanted them to use their equipment that they spent all winter long putting together.” Scott Landers has been racing since 1989 and said he has never raced without fans in the stands. “This is something new for everybody here tonight,” said Landers. Josh has been racing for the last two years and on opening night is following in his dad’s footsteps. KIRKWOOD (WBNG) – On Saturday, the Five Mile Point Speedway began its 70th year. Landers not only raced on Saturday, but also watched his ten year-old son Josh his the racetrack as well. “[It’s] really cool seeing that his car is bigger than mine, so hopefully I can go up into his class someday,” said Josh. “I’m just ready to get back out there,” said Josh Landers.
Earlier this week, MECSD moved Homer Brink to remote learning until Friday, October 23, after four staff members and an off-campus BOCES student within the district tested positive for the coronavirus. UPDATE: The district’s superintendent says families will continue to be notified of changes made to the school schedule. —– ENDWELL (WBNG) — Homer Brink Elementary School will be extending remote learning for another week after another positive COVID-19 case. The school will now use a remote learning model through Friday, October 30. ENDWELL (WBNG) — The Maine-Endwell Central School District says its high school will also move to remote instruction through Oct. 30 following a positive case. https://www.facebook.com/MaineEndwellCSD/posts/3506250986121406 The decision comes after the Maine-Endwell Central School District announced there was a confirmed COVID-19 case involving a staff member at Homer Brink. The district was notified of the case on Monday night. MECSD is working with the Broome County Health Department on proper procedures for all faculty, staff, and students regarding quarantining and testing.
63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.auA CAR lover’s dream home that’s hit the market in Brisbane’s inner city can accommodate 11 vehicles and has its own workshop to tinker in. 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.auThe 1,012sq m property at 63 Fisher Street in East Brisbane is home to a sprawling Queenslander which has three bedrooms, a study and Airbnb-ready guest accommodation with its own entry, ensuite, kitchenette and patio. 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.au“Number 63 is certainly a car lover’s dream. It’s every man’s dream,” he said. “It has a large workshop with hoist and lots of car accommodation so if you’re a car collector or working from home as a car collector, it’s very spacious.” 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.au“But,” Mr Campbell said, “this site already had a lot to offer.”The property, which is open for inspection from noon to 12.45pm Saturday March 18, was in a prime location, walking distance to 21 restaurants, Woolloongabba stadium, supermarkets and all the benefits of inner city living. 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.auThe property also has rear access via Kingfisher Lane.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor7 hours agoReal estate agent Alan Campbell of One Agency Metro West, who is marketing the property with colleague Sue Barnes, said the owners had three properties in row on the market at the same time, one of which was already under contract. 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.auAccording to Mr Campbell there was also a development underway close by that was to include cinemas – “again you can walk there” and a dog park was 50 metres down the street.He said “all reasonable offers” would be considered. 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.au 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.au“A designer kitchen to die for with quality fixtures and fittings; a man cave perfect for the car collector with a hoist; or a home based business with mezzanine level for storage; a cute little studio for a teen retreat or an aspiring artist, and a self-contained guest room with a shady private patio perfect to let out on Airbnb. Something for everybody and when you want to gather together you have a choice of the spacious rear deck or two verandas to capture breezes and avoid the sun.” 63 Fisher Street East Brisbane Qld 4169. Picture: Realestate.com.auThe property has a price guide of $1.8 million-plus and sits in an area zoned low-medium residential so it has development potential.
The New York clinic is now asking city leaders to remove Sanger’s name from local streets as well, the New York Times reports. It will now be called the Manhattan Health Center.Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the national organization, said it supported the New York chapter’s decision.“Planned Parenthood, like many other organizations that have existed for a century or more, is reckoning with our history, and working to address historical inequities to better serve patients and our mission,” Melanie Roussell Newman, a spokeswoman for the group, said in the statement.READ MORE: https://www.foxnews.com/us/margaret-sanger-planned-parenthood-ny-eugenics-racismKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox. Fox News 21 July 2020Family First Comment: Planned Parenthood (related to Family Planning in NZ) self-implodes because of its dark deathly history…“Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is removing the name of Margaret Sanger, the founder of the nation’s largest abortion provider, from its New York City clinic due to her “harmful connection to the eugenics movement.”Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is removing the name of Margaret Sanger, the founder of the nation’s largest abortion provider, from its New York City clinic due to her “harmful connection to the eugenics movement,” the group said Tuesday.The announcement comes after more than 350 current and former staffers at the Manhattan clinic, as well as 800 donors, supporters and volunteers, called Sanger “a racist, white woman.” An open letter on June 18 to Planned Parenthood of Greater New York, criticized the organization as “steeped in white supremacy,” the Washington Times reports.For decades, pro-life activists pointed out Sanger’s racism, but in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement, Planned Parenthood said it is addressing the problem.“The removal of Margaret Sanger’s name from our building is both a necessary and overdue step to reckon with our legacy and acknowledge Planned Parenthood’s contributions to historical reproductive harm within communities of color,” Karen Seltzer, the chair of the New York affiliate’s board, said in a statement.
ILOILO City – TheDepartment of Science and Technology VI (DOS-6) is set to launch the RegionalScience and Technology Week (RSTW) – its biggest science and technology(S&T) event in Western Visayas. This year’s regionaltheme “Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development”features the latest innovation in technologies, products, and researches whichcan help achieve the 17 sustainable development goals of the agency.(With DOST6/JRAGabiota/PN) Last year, the MianayNational High School from Sigma town in Capiz grabbed the championship for therobotics competition, while the Capiz National High School and Ishmael B.Orillos National High School ranked as 1st and 2nd-runners-up, respectively. The activity aims toencourage youngsters to pursue science courses in the future. It is also aplatform for heralding S&T advocacy in the region. Exhibitors showcase their robotics creation during the Western Visayas-Regional Science and Technology Week at a mall in Roxas City, Capiz last year. JRAGABIOTA/DOST6 The Mini-RoboticsWorkshop and Competition on Oct. 21-25 in this city will bring exhibitors fromthe Data Science and Technology Corporation to demonstrate to high schoolstudents some robotics concepts and masterpieces through a workshop that willlast for three days. Aside from themini-robotics workshop and competition, other activities include YES! YouthExplorers of Science, iLounge, Innovation Challenge, nuLab Mobile LearningFacility Bus, and S&T attractions. The RSTW hopes tobring science community and enthusiasts together, particularly technologydevelopers and investors including the S&T service providers, to interact,exchange ideas and pursue potential opportunities in technologycommercialization and linkages. The weeklongcelebration is part of the Iloilo Innovation Expo 2019 which features variousactivities such as the Iloilo Innovation Summit, ILOILOvation Business Matchingand Investment Forum, IFIT Job Fair and National ICT Summit, among others.
Leonardia disclosed the citygovernment has been receiving reports of violation of social distancingmeasures in karaoke and videoke bars, and internet cafés and gaming stations,where persons, particularly minors and youth, converge and socialize withoutregard to the declared health regulations combating COVID-19. In EO No. 25, Section 1 prescribesthat the selling/serving by any business establishment or any person ofliquors, alcoholic beverages, coconut wine, and other nature wines and the likewhich causes intoxication is prohibited while Section 2 states the consumptionof liquor and any alcoholic beverage in public is also prohibited. Moreover, Section 3 states all karaokeand videoke bars and establishments, internet cafés or gaming stations,including Pisonet businesses, are closed to the public. On March 15, Leonardia placed the cityunder a general community quarantine, restricted all land, sea and air travelto and from Bacolod, and enforced curfew hours from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. “There is now an urgent necessity forthe implementation of more stringent forms of social distancing to prevent thetransmission of Covid-19 and it is the intention of the city government toundertake more specific measures to effectively protect its citizens,” themayor stated on his order. Leonardia reiterated the selling,serving and consumption of liquor and other similarly intoxicating drinksencourage gatherings and close contact among people. These defeat theobjectives of community quarantine, he stressed. This after Mayor Evelio Leonardiaissued Executive Order (EO) No. 25. BACOLOD City – The localgovernment unit of this city has prohibited the selling of liquor and orderedthe closure of videoke bars and internet stations as part of its preventivemeasures to curb the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The mayor also suspended the holdingof mass gatherings and public events involving a large number of attendees. (With PNA/PN)