Russia: SSBN Yekaterinburg Will Be Recovered in Time, Says Vice Premier

first_img View post tag: will Russia: SSBN Yekaterinburg Will Be Recovered in Time, Says Vice Premier Nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) Yekaterinburg damaged during repair works late 2011 will be recovered and recommissioned into Russian Navy, said vice premier Dmitry Rogozin.On Dec 29, a fire occurred on SSBN Yekaterinburg staying in floating dock of 82-nd Ship Repair Plant in Roslyakovo, Murmansk region. Supposedly, the fire was caused by hot works; wooden scaffold around the sub ignited. Then flames moved to outer hull and damaged special rubber anti-sonar coating. The fire area was 150 sq meters. Firefighters managed to neutralize the fire on Dec 30. According to EMERCOM, nine persons suffered from the fire on the submarine, i.e. seven crewmen and two firefighters.“Now I am more optimistic than in December. We have thoroughly examined the whole sub, only first section is damaged. Experts have found technical solutions to recover the submarine and recommission her into the Navy in due time”, told Rogozin reporters on Jan 10. Also, “those solutions will help to compensate descending might of SSBN Yekaterinburg”, pointed out Rogozin.He added that guilty persons would be named when the investigation was over.[mappress]Naval Today Staff , January 12, 2012 View post tag: SSBN Back to overview,Home naval-today Russia: SSBN Yekaterinburg Will Be Recovered in Time, Says Vice Premier View post tag: Recovered View post tag: be View post tag: Navy View post tag: News by topic View post tag: premier Share this article View post tag: says View post tag: Russia Authorities View post tag: Yekaterinburg View post tag: Vice January 12, 2012 View post tag: Naval View post tag: timelast_img read more

Odds & Ends: Barbra Streisand’s Broadway Encore & More

first_imgBarbra Streisand(Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images) View Comments Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today. Barbra Streisand’s Broadway EncoreIt’s as if Barbra Streisand never said goodbye to the Great White Way! The legendary star will release a duets album, Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway, later this year. Streisand has also announced a new tour, which is scheduled to kick off on August 2 at L.A.’s Staples Center and run through August 23 at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre. The honorary Tony winner is set to play August 11 and August 13 at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. No word yet on who has been tapped to appear on the record with Streisand, but we can think of a three-time Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner who would jump at the chance.Now Megan Hilty Will Sing for Queens2016 Tony nominee Megan Hilty is set to team up with the previously reported Matthew Morrison for a concert with the New York Pops. Under the musical direction of Steven Reineke, the performance is scheduled for July 7 at the Forest Hills Stadium in Queens, N.Y. We’re sure it will be smashing.CBS Enlists Steven PasqualeCongratulations to stage and screen favorite Steven Pasquale—Doubt, the pilot he starred in opposite Katherine Heigl, has received a series order from CBS. Variety reports that the show follows a hotshot defense lawyer who falls for her charming client, who could be responsible for a brutal crime. You can catch Pasqaule off-Broadway in The Robber Bridegroom through May 29.Nigel Lindsay Tapped for Guys and DollsNigel Lindsay will join the oldest established permanent floating craps game in New York London! The stage and screen vet is set to step into the West End cast of Guys and Dolls as Nathan Deroit, taking over for Richard Kind. Lindsay will play a limited engagement May 26 through June 26; Kind’s final performance is scheduled for May 22.Lin-Manuel Miranda & Adam Pascal Duet in #Rent4HamThe always entertaining #Ham4Ham paid tribute to Rent over the weekend. The classic tuner is celebrating its 20th anniversary so Hamilton creator and star Lin-Manuel Miranda got together with quintessential Roger, Adam Pascal, along with Kenny Brescia (Rent’s original guitarist) and Alex Lacamoire on keys for a rendition of “What You Own.” Check it out below!center_img P.S. Sean Hayes (An Act of God) and CBS’ Mo Rocca will host this year’s Stars in the Alley on June 3.last_img read more

Greens promised referendum on personal cannabis use – Ardern wants national discussion

first_imgStuff co.nz 20 October 2017Family First Comment: “Conservative lobby group Family First was already preparing to rail against the prospect of a referendum. National director Bob McCoskrie said it would be running a “nope to dope” campaign.”Incoming Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will work with her Cabinet and take advice before holding a referendum on legalising recreational cannabis.She said her Executive would decide when the referendum went ahead and was personally open to the discussion. Ardern said there was a need to balance overly harsh criminal sentencing with the drug’s capability to cause harm.Conservative lobby group Family First was already preparing to rail against the prospect of a referendum. National director Bob McCoskrie said it would be running a “nope to dope” campaign.“Legalising marijuana and the rise of Big Marijuana is the wrong path if we care about public health, public safety, and about our young people.There are too many health risks including the effect of marijuana on cognitive ability, cardiac function and psychosis,” he said.READ MORE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/98081732/greens-promised-referendum-on-personal-cannabis-useCannabis referendum: What it could mean for stonersNZ Herald 20 October 2017A public referendum on legalising cannabis for personal use will be held by the 2020 election as part of the agreement between the Green and Labour parties.Legalising cannabis has been a key policy for the Green Party for the past 20 years.But what changes will Kiwis be voting on when it comes to the cannabis referendum?Legalise cannabis for personal use:According to The Green Party, its drug law reform policy indicates that it aims to make cannabis legal for personal use, including possession and cultivation of the drug.However, it is unclear whether selling cannabis would be legalised.Age restriction on cannabis use:The Greens have made it clear there a legal age limit for personal use of cannabis will need to be introduced, although the age is yet to be set or agreed upon.Driving under the influence of cannabis:The current law around driving under the influence of cannabis will be replaced with one that is based on cannabinoid levels that correlates with impairment.Similar to alcohol breath testing, drivers cannot get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle if they are over the legalised limit of cannabinoid levels.Legalising medical cannabisThe Greens want to remove penalties for anyone with a terminal illness, chronic or debilitating conditions who grows, possesses and uses cannabis products for therapeutic purposes as long as they have the support of authorised medical practitioner.Make licensed medical cannabis products more accessible:The proposed policy would look to accelerate the process by which medical cannabis products are licensed. The move would direct MedSafe to consider the use of category-based classes common compositions of medical cannabis products.They want to lower the barriers for manufacturers to submit new cannabis products for funding to Pharmac so that evidence can be quickly gathered and distributed if approved.Before racing ahead with the referendum, they want to assess evidence from overseas jurisdictions where legal cannabis is sold to determine the best model for New Zealand.“While waiting for broader law change for cannabis, remove penalties for any person with a terminal illness, chronic or debilitating condition to cultivate, possess or use cannabis and/or cannabis products for therapeutic purposes, with the support of a registered medical practitioner”, the policy said.READ MORE: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11935119last_img read more

RSPH ‘Scroll Free September’ backs GambleAware’s take-a-break mandate

first_img GambleAware: Engage those with lived experience of gambling harms August 28, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon Share Marc Etches to step down as CEO of GambleAware in 2021 August 14, 2020 Shirley Cramer – RSPHThis September, the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) launches the second edition of its ‘Scroll Free September’ campaign, encouraging the UK public to ‘take a break from gambling online’.Run as an independent health organisation, the RSPH supports UK health networks, and details that ‘Scroll Free’ has been developed to support the ongoing gambling-harm prevention initiatives developed by GambleAware’s ‘Bet Regret’ campaign, launched at the start of 2019.Targeting men aged between 16-34, who wager regularly on sports, the ‘Bet Regret’ campaign urges UK punters to ‘think twice’ on their gambling behaviours in order to avoid impulsive behaviours.RSPH’s Scroll Free September campaign will support the work of GambleAware, by helping vulnerable online gamblers to self-exclude by taking part in one of the five campaign plans:Busy Bee – Taking a break in or at workSleeping Dog – Taking a break in the bedroomSocial Butterfly – Taking a break at social eventsNight Owl – Taking a break every evening, after 6pmCold Turkey – Give up completely for 30 daysAnnouncing the campaign, Shirley Cramer CBE, Chief Executive of RSPH, said: “Better understanding is needed of the harms arising from gambling, who is affected and what support can be provided to prevent harms from developing or escalating in the first place. Along with the establishment of the Gambling Health Alliance, by asking the public to use Scroll Free September as an opportunity to abstain from online gambling, we hope to place gambling harm further at the forefront of public health thinking and as a serious threat to our public’s health in its own right.”Both GambleAware and RSPH enter a crucial period for the development of UK problem gambling networks, as this October sees the launch of a Gambling Health Alliance, formed by diverse organisations seeking to reduce UK problem gambling-related harms.Marc Etches – GambleAwareThe new Alliance will seek to ensure that gambling and the harms which arise from this are placed on an equal footing with other major public health challenges, focussing on prevention, early intervention, and increased community engagement.Supporting the campaign, Marc Etches, Chief Executive of GambleAware, said: “We all need to take a break from our phones every now and again, particularly now that gambling is accessible anytime and anywhere. We’re pleased to be supporting Scroll Free September and hope it will inspire people to take a moment to think about their betting habits.” Share Related Articles YGAM focuses on BAME community engagement with CVR link-up August 21, 2020last_img read more