Organisation Nearly half of UN member countries have obstructed coronavirus coverage The two surviving newspapers, La Prensa (founded 1926) and Hoy, had to drastically reduce their size and print run in order to eke out their dwindling raw material stocks for as long possible. La Prensa has reduced its size from 36 to 8 pages, and both La Prensa and Hoy are now distributed in only four of the country’s 17 districts. In a 27 January editorial headlined “The dictatorship strangles La Prensa,” La Prensa’s editorial board said the newspaper’s days were now numbered as a result of this form of censorship. September 29, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Nicaragua RSF_en Thanks to mediation by the Vatican representative in Nicaragua*, Papal Nuncio Stanislaw Waldemar Sommertag, the General Directorate of Customs finally agreed on 7 February to allow La Prensa and its sister newspaper Hoy to receive the raw material, including 90 tons of newsprint, that it had been holding for the past 18 months. News In Nicaragua’s case, the policy of depriving outspoken media outlets of the raw material they need was inspired by the Venezuelan government’s example. Source: MAYNOR VALENZUELA / AFP NicaraguaAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Freedom of expressionEconomic pressure “The unblocking of the raw material essential for producing La Prensa group’s newspapers is an encouraging sign but it offers the country’s last two newspapers only a provisional respite,” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of RSF’s Latin America bureau. “We ask President Ortega’s government to put a stop to all forms of administrative censorship, which have such disastrous consequences for Nicaraguan society in its entirety, and to comply strictly with Nicaragua’s international obligations, which implies guaranteeing and protecting press freedom.” *The Catholic Church has tried to mediate between the government, civil society and opposition in Nicaragua ever since the political crisis worsened in 2018. News In a report entitled “Newspapers that never arrive,” published in September 2019, RSF shed light on the methods used by governments, powerful oligarchs and private corporations – including restricting access to newsprint – to obstruct the publication and distribution of print media. Nicaragua has seen repeated attacks on its independent media since its political crisis worsened in April 2018. The police have seized equipment, carried out searches without a warrant and even surrounded media premises, including Confidencial, 100% Noticias, Niú and Esta Semana, which have been blocked since December 2018. Journalists are often the victims of smear campaigns, arbitrary arrest and even death threats, to the point that some have fled the country. NicaraguaAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Freedom of expressionEconomic pressure July 29, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Nicaragua’s newspapers have tried to reorganize online but, in a country where barely 20% of the population has online access – the lowest rate in Central America – the Internet alone has not ensured their survival. Nicaragua is ranked 114th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. Gruesome death threats against Nicaraguan exile journalist RSF and PEN urge Nicaraguan legislators to reject “foreign agents” bill to go further Without any explanation, President Daniel Ortega’s government had denied Nicaragua’s privately-owned newspapers access to their imported newsprint, ink and rubber since September 2018, depriving them of the raw materials they need to produce print editions and throttling them economically. This resulted in the disappearance of most of the print media including El Nuevo Diario, which closed in September 2019, ending 40 years of publishing in Nicaragua. News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) welcomes the release of the newsprint and ink for Nicaragua’s last two independent daily newspapers that had been arbitrarily blocked in customs for the past 18 months. But this provisional respite must not deflect attention from the censorship to which the state has subjected the media since 2018, RSF said. June 29, 2020 Find out more February 7, 2020 – Updated on February 10, 2020 Release of newsprint offers “provisional respite” to Nicaragua’s last newspapers News Receive email alerts The publishing house that owns both newspapers, Grupo Editorial La Prensa, immediately sent employees to examine the condition of the supplies. They found that some of the newsprint was infested with mites, and that it would therefore have to be quarantined and was probably unusable. The newspapers were nonetheless able to take possession of all the supplies yesterday.
BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Experts at Lourdes Hospital say easing the burden on your mental health isn’t easy, but can be done with small goals for the new year. Hooper suggests if you’re looking to strengthen your mental well-being as a goal for the year 2020, it’s better to start off with the smaller steps and to take it day by day. Psychiatry Nurse Practitioner at Lourdes, Kay Hooper, says the idea of the new year creates a sense of hope for people to restart, especially when it comes to mental health. One of the main things she recommends is keeping track of your eating and sleeping habits. She says make sure you’re eating enough throughout the day and getting seven to eight hours of sleep. In addition to exercising, Hooper also says every day, you can make it a goal to write down or even list in your head just a few things you are grateful for. In the end, Hooper says the best goal to have for your mental health is to recognize when you may need help. She says recognizing and getting help is already a big accomplishment for the new year. If you feel you are in need of immediate help, you can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. “There’s actually some really good research that indicates that when we can increase the level of gratitude that we feel for anything… that can really improve our mental health’s state,” said Hooper. Even if you’re not the type of person to hit up the gym, Hooper says doing even a simple exercise whether at a gym or at home can boost your mood. You can make a list of workouts to do or go for a jog. “When we don’t sleep our brain doesn’t get to recover as well and, of course, our mental and emotional health has a lot to do with how well our brain is functioning,” said Hooper.
The company says over 1,100 NYSE employees are ready to assist in power restoration efforts. NYSEG says it is also coordinating with state and local emergency management teams. (WBNG) — NYSEG says its preparing its storm response for the possibility of power outages prompted by Tropical Storm Isaias. The company asks its customers to maintain a distance of six feet from NYSEG employees if they need to assist due to COVID-19. NYSEG says its customers should have their phones fully charged and batter-operated flashlights on hand in preparation for any storm. For the more up to date information on power outages, go to the NYSEG Power Outage Map by clicking here. To see how Isaias will impact our area, click here. Isaias is expected to travel up along the east coast of the country and bring heavy rains and wind Tuesday.
The home at 66 Gordon St, Gordon Park is going under the hammer.This northeast facing Queenslander with two-street access has been beautifully renovated. The home at 66 Gordon St, Gordon Park is spread across two levels and has VJ walls, breezeways, timber floorboards and high ornate ceilings.The master bedroom with ensuite and dressing room is on the ground floor, along with the laundry, storage space and bedrooms two and three. The second bedroom has a built-in robe and bedroom three opens to a terrace.More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 2019Internal stairs lead to the open plan living, dining and kitchen area, which opens to the 43sqm deck with glass sliding doors, speakers and barbecue nook.The kitchen has a four-burner has stove, island bench and plenty of bench and cupboard space.Also on this level is a light-filled library off the dining room, two bedrooms, a modern bathroom and a second covered deck.The home has a double carport, a storage shed, water tank and security alarm.The Gordon St property is being marketed by Ian Cuneo and Andrew Flanagan from Ray White Ascot.The home will go under the hammer on May 13 at 11am.
Police presence will be increased around the MCG for the Boxing Day Test after a series of terror-related arrests in Melbourne on Thursday night.Seven people were arrested over what Victoria’s Police chief commissioner Graham Ashton said was a potential multi-mode attack at Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and St Paul’s Cathedral, believed to be planned for Christmas Day.Although there has been no suggestion of the Boxing Day Test being targeted, Mr Ashton said police presence would be heightened around the cricket, as it would at other major events in Victoria during the holiday period.“We’ll see a lot of additional police presence in the CBD particularly, through the Christmas period, right through the new year period,” he said. “We’ve added additional layers of security to the cricket Boxing Day Test. These are precautionary measures but it’s important the community is reassured that we are putting these additional resources in place.“I took the opportunity to talk to Cricket Australia this morning and had a discussion with them, informing them that we will have an increased police presence for the cricket. But we are doing the planning across the state. So all of those significant events that will be occurring across the state will be complemented by additional police during this period.“I do stress that there’s no intel, there’s no information suggesting a threat at this time to any of those events. However, we’re just making sure that we’re taking those extra precautions given what we’ve been dealing with over the last couple of weeks in relation to this.”Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said: “Our security team is in contact with the relevant authorities to ensure we have the appropriate level of security at the Boxing Day Test and other cricket matches being held around the country.“The safety and security of our fans, players and officials attending any cricket match is our number one priority. We applaud Victoria Police for their efforts this morning in neutralising the threat and we will continue to work with the relevant authorities to ensure the highest security standards and protocols are maintained.”A “ring of steel” was erected around the MCG last summer as a security measure, with full bag and body searches conducted at the fence before fans were allowed inside the perimeter. Although it was decided not to put the fence in place again this year, the same searches will again take place as patrons enter the MCG proper.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Star Indian sprinter Hima Das clinched her fourth gold of the fortnight as she won the 200m race with a creditable time in the Tabor Athletics Meet in Czech Republic in New Delhi on Wednesday. Hima won in 23.25 seconds though the race had a mediocre field with most of the competitors representing clubs of Czech Republic. Nonetheless, she is inching closer to her personal best of 23.10, Hima’s compatriot V K Vismaya was second with a season best 23.43.This was 19-year-old Hima’s fourth gold since July 2 when she ran her first competitive race in Europe. She has been keeping on improving since her first race. In her first competitive 200m race of the year, the old Assam runner had clocked 23.65 seconds on her way to gold at the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland on July 2. After that, she won her second 200m gold at the Kutno Athletics Meet, also in Poland, on July 7 with a time of 23.97 seconds.On July 13, she won her third 200m gold at the Kladno Athletics Meet in Czech Republic with a time of 23.43. Hima’s pet event is 400m and she is yet to qualify for the World Championships in both the quartermile event and the 200m.The World Championships qualifying time for 200m is 23.02 while it is 51.80 in 400m. In men’s 400m, Muhammad Anas won in 45.40 seconds in a mediocre field while compatriots Tom Noah Nirmal came second with a season best effort of 46.59. K S Jeevan was third in 46.60 and M P Jabir finished fourth in 47.16. On July 13 at Kladno, Anas had bettered his own 400m national record to clinch a gold and qualify for the World Championships by clocking 45.21 seconds. The World Championships qualification time is 45.30 seconds in men’s 400m race.
Lille head coach Marcelo ‘El Loco’ Bielsa is in big trouble after his team plunged into deeper relegation worries following their emphatic 3-0 loss to Stade Amiens on Monday night.Bielsa’s team started the game with the knowledge that a win would be enough to climb out of the bottom three however it was their hosts who used that motivation to move away from the relegation places.Harrison Manzala Tusumgama scored either side of halftime to give the home side a 2-0 lead before substitute Moussa Konate rounded off the one-sided game five minutes from time.The win was enough to take Amiens above their opponents and seven places upward to 12th spot with a point tally of 15 while Lille stay in the relegation zone with 12 points moving from 18th to 19th in the process. RelatedFrench Ligue 1 Wrap: Monaco Thrash Lille To Pile More Misery On ‘El Loco’September 23, 2017In “Europe”Paying The Penalty! Lille Manager El Loco Suspended By ClubNovember 23, 2017In “Europe”French Ligue 1 Round-Up: No Neymar Show, Mbappe Fires Blank, And Lyon Are Early LeadersAugust 7, 2017In “Europe”
Two excellent second-half goals helped Roberto Mancini’s team to pull clear in second place in the Premier League after Joe Hart had brilliantly saved Frank Lampard’s penalty.Roberto Mancini’s public attack on his players paid immediate dividends as Manchester City brushed Chelsea aside 2-0 at the Etihad Stadium.The champions’ dominant display was rewarded with second-half goals of real quality from Yaya Toure and substitute Carlos Tevez.The Ivorian’s 63rd-minute opener came shortly after Joe Hart had atoned for clumsily conceding a penalty by launching himself to his right to keep out Frank Lampard’s spot kick.The Argentine sealed the win five minutes from time to help City pull clear of Chelsea in second place and reduce Manchester United’s lead at the top back down to 12 points.Such is the dominance of the runaway leaders that the main fight is for the minor places but Mancini’s men demonstrated that they are not a completely diminished force by overwhelming their main rivals for the runners-up spot. City have fallen short in the goalscoring department this season and, after criticising a number of his players in an interview earlier in the week, the Italian’s solution was to spearhead Sergio Aguero with David Silva and a battery of midfielders.Toure, James Milner and Javi Garcia were supplemented by Jack Rodwell, starting his first match since the 3-1 home win over QPR on September 1.Chelsea, starting just 64 hours after their draw in Prague on Thursday night, rung the changes, with Demba Ba returning to the side in place of Fernando Torres.The visitors looked jaded in the first half as City poured forward in droves and at times threatened to tear them apart.The hosts’ main tactical ploy was to target the right side of Chelsea’s defence and free up either Gael Clichy or Silva on the overlap to launch a cross on to the head of one of their powerful, onrushing midfielders. Rodwell, in particular, made a series of excellent runs into the box and his height was a real danger to the opposition. The former Everton man could have had a hat-trick in the opening half but Chelsea held firm through a combination of last-gasp defending, the safe hands of Cech and some mixed finishing.Five minutes into the second half, a Chelsea long ball sent Ba bearing down on the City goal. Despite being covered by Kolo Toure, Hart came rushing out to harass the Senegal striker, who left his foot in and was taken down by the England No.1.The award of a penalty was debatable but it could easily have been avoided by Hart. With the criticism of Mancini no doubt ringing in his ears, the keeper atoned for his error of judgement by flinging himself low to his right to keep out Lampard’s spot kick.Ten minutes later, City’s supporters had even more reason to celebrate. Toure collected the ball from Silva in the box, surged past two defenders and, confronted by the presence of Gary Cahill, opened up his body to guide a wonderfully composed finish past the grasp of Cech. It was a quite stunning goal, combining the power of a bulldozer with the precision of a surgeon.The game opened up as Chelsea searched for an equaliser but Benitez’s team were too sloppy in possession to cause City much angst. The home side were rewarded for their perserverance with a second goal after 85 minutes. Silva was once again the goal-maker, laying on the ball for Tevez to line himself up for a thunderbolt strike past Cech.
Manny Pacquiao called his boxing showdown with Floyd Mayweather “the fight of my life” as he got down to work pounding the streets and gym in Los Angeles.The eight-division world champion cranked into serious preparations for the May 2 fight after flying in for his training camp from his native Philippines.On Monday, Pacquiao ran 3.2km and shadow-boxed for two rounds, followed by abdominal work and a breakfast of steamed rice, scrambled egg, fish and chicken broth.Then he napped until noon and had lunch before heading to trainer Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym, which is strictly off-limits to fans and media during Pacquiao’s sessions.”I will prepare hard for this fight to give the boxing fans the kind of entertainment they want. This is what I consider the real fight of my life,” said the 36-year-old.Pacquiao (57-5 with two drawn and 38 knock-outs) will face Mayweather (47-0 with 27 knock-outs) in Las Vegas in a fight long craved by boxing fans. Reports say they will split about $US200 million ($A255.7 million) from the welterweight clash between two men considered the best “pound-for-pound” boxers of their generation.Pacquiao has plunged into training after arriving from the Philippines, where his distractions include playing professional basketball and a seat in the national congress.Pacquiao’s preparations are under way without Roach, who is in Macau for Chinese fighter Zou Shiming’s world title shot on Saturday.Conditioning coach Justin Fortune and assistant trainers Buboy Fernandez and Flash Fernandez are present, along with others including Pacquiao’s younger brother Bobby.