Neighborhood Council meetings

first_imgNorth Hills West Neighborhood Council, 7 p.m. Wednesday in Building 22 at the Sepulveda VA, 16111 Plummer St., North Hills. Call (818) 893-8613 or see www.northhillswest.org. Northridge East Neighborhood Council, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Andasol Elementary School, 10126 Encino Ave., Northridge. Call (800) 772-9132. Granada Hills North Neighborhood Council, 7 p.m. May 21, Van Gogh Elementary School, 17160 Van Gogh St., Granada Hills. Call (818) 360-4346 or see www.ghnnc.org. Reseda Neighborhood Council, 7 p.m. May 21, Canoas Banquet Hall, 18136 Sherman Way, Reseda. Call (818) 832-7540 or see www.resedacouncil.org. Sherman Oaks Neighborhood Council, 6:30 today in the auditorium at Sherman Oaks Elementary School, 14755 Greenleaf St., Sherman Oaks. Call (818) 386-9284 or see www.shermanoaksnc.org. North Hills East Neighborhood Council, 7 p.m. today in the auditorium at Sepulveda Middle School, 15330 Plummer St., North Hills. Call (818) 891-0060. Arleta Neighborhood Council, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium at Beachy Elementary School, 9757 Beachy Ave., Arleta. Call (818) 892-2457. Neighborhood Council Valley Village, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Colfax Elementary School, 11724 Addison St., Valley Village. Call (818) 766-2932. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Appiah promises end to Cameroon dominance of Ghana

first_img“We are going to give Cameroon a really good game and I am sure we will emerge victorious,” said the coach in his second spell as Ghana coach.Defending champions Cameroon will start as slight favourites to win the Group F clash in Ismailia Saturday having been the more impressive performers earlier this week.Cameroon scored twice in three minutes to end the resistance of Guinea-Bissau and win 2-0 while Ghana had John Boye red-carded as they were held 2-2 by Benin.Here, AFP Sport previews the three Saturday matches, with Benin and Guinea-Bissau the other fixture in an Ismailia double-header, while Angola meet Mauritania in Group E in Suez.Cameroon v GhanaCameroon coach Clarence Seedorf instructs goalkeeper Andre Onana during a 1-0 friendly loss to Brazil in England last NovemberAppiah is not overly concerned with the two dropped points against lower-ranked Benin because Ghana are traditionally slow starters at the Cup of Nations.They always recover and boast a record of six consecutive top-four finishes from 2008, including finishing runners-up twice.He was upset by the dismissal of veteran Boye, believing his time wasting should have earned a verbal warning rather than a second yellow card.Cameroon centre-back Ambroise Oyongo, one of four starters against Guinea-Bissau who were part of the 2017 title-winning team, says they must improve against Ghana.“We have to raise our game against Ghana. We did not start with a win in 2017 but this time we did and I believe that is a good omen going forward in the competition.”Benin v Guinea-BissauBenin opened the scoring after just one minute and 44 seconds, Pote beating Richard Ofori from close range after racing into the box from 45 yards out and evading a challenge from Lumor Agbenyenu. PHOTO/Amran OnlineFormer English Premier League midfielder Stephane Sessegnon has personal and team ambitions ahead of his probable return to the team after missing the Ghana match through suspension.The Turkey-based 35-year-old captain of the Squirrels needs one goal to overtake Razak Omotoyossi and become the record scorer for the national team.He also wants to help Benin finally win a match at the Cup of Nations after two draws and eight losses since debuting 15 years ago.Another threat to Guinea-Bissau will be physically imposing Mickael Pote, who also plays his club football in Turkey and bagged a brace against Ghana.Guinea-Bissau contained Cameroon for 65 minutes, but once they fell behind to a Yaya Banana header the Djurtus (wild dogs) had little bite in attack.Angola v MauritaniaCampos grabbed a crucial equaliser for Angola in their first match against TunisiaThese Group E rivals defeated each other at home in qualifying for a 2019 Cup of Nations switched to Egypt after Cameroon fell behind with preparations.Angola recovered from falling behind after just two minutes to triumph 4-1 in Luanda and Mauritania gained revenge four days later with a 1-0 win in Nouakchott.Mauritania conceded four goals again this week when losing to Mali and often poorly positioned goalkeeper Brahim Souleimane could be axed by French coach Corentin Martins.Serbia-born Angola coach Srdjan Vasiljevic was thrilled by the come-from-behind 1-1 draw with Tunisia, who are making a record-extending 14th straight appearance at the tournament.“We got a good result after enormous difficulties in the preparation period. We want to play good football and compete with the best African teams,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Ghanaian head coach Kwesi Appiah before a training session when they played Kenya at the Kasarani Stadium in September 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluCAIRO, Egypt, Jun 28 – Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah says the time has come to end the dominance of Cameroon over his country in the Africa Cup of Nations. The Black Stars have confronted the Indomitable Lions four times from 1982 and the best they have achieved is two group draws while suffering two semi-final defeats.last_img read more

Scientist to receive $1.6 million settlement of privacy lawsuit

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2The payment by AP, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post and ABC is the only one of its kind in recent memory, and perhaps ever, legal and media experts said. The companies said they agreed to the sum to forestall jail sentences for their reporters, even larger payments in the form of fines and the prospect of revealing confidential sources. The companies and their reporters were not defendants in the privacy lawsuit. “We were reluctant to contribute anything to this settlement, but we sought relief in the courts and found none,” the companies said. “Given the rulings of the federal courts in Washington and the absence of a federal shield law, we decided this was the best course to protect our sources and to protect our journalists.” The statement noted that the accuracy of the reporting itself was not challenged. The government agencies did not admit that they had violated Lee’s privacy rights. Lee was fired from his job at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, but he was never charged with espionage. He was held in solitary confinement for nine months, then released in 2000 after pleading guilty to mishandling computer files. A judge apologized for Lee’s treatment. Two federal judges held the reporters in contempt for refusing to reveal their sources to Lee. The journalists had argued that he could obtain the information elsewhere. U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer signed an order Friday vacating the contempt proceedings against the reporters, H. Josef Hebert of The Associated Press, James Risen of The New York Times, Bob Drogin of the Los Angeles Times, Walter Pincus of The Washington Post, and Pierre Thomas, formerly of CNN and now working for ABC News.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – Wen Ho Lee, the former nuclear weapons scientist once suspected of being a spy, settled his privacy lawsuit Friday and will receive $1.6 million from the government and five news organizations in a case that turned into a fight over reporters’ confidential sources. Lee will receive $895,000 from the government for legal fees and associated taxes in the 6 -year-old lawsuit in which he accused the Energy and Justice departments of violating his privacy rights by leaking information that he was under investigation as a spy for China. The Associated Press and four other news organizations have agreed to pay Lee $750,000 as part of the settlement, which ends contempt of court proceedings against five reporters who refused to disclose the sources of their stories about the espionage investigation. Lee said of the settlement: “We are hopeful that the agreements reached today will send the strong message that government officials and journalists must and should act responsibly in discharging their duties and be sensitive to the privacy interests afforded to every citizen of this country.” last_img read more