Trinidadian remanded over fake kidnapping plot

first_imgSawak Maraj, the 33-year-old Trinidadian, who, along with others, reportedly faked his kidnapping was on Monday hauled before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Trinidadian Sawak MarajWith his father present in the courtroom, Maraj appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan where he denied the charge of faking his own kidnapping.He denied that on October 27, 2017 at Madewini Resort, Timehri, East Bank Demerara (EBD), he gave false information to the Police that he had been kidnapped and US$700,000 demanded for his release after which Police carried out an investigation and prove the claim to be false.He also denied that he conspired with others on the same day at the same location to commit a felony, that is to say, he knowingly conspired to obtain US$700,000.The mechanical engineer was represented by Attorney Nirvan Singh, who stated that his client was being subjected to negative publicity by the media.According to Singh, the charges against his client are baseless and what seems to be successful crime fighting by the Guyana Police Force (GPF) is not.He maintained that Maraj entered Guyana in search of employment, but was kidnapped. In a bail application, the lawyer told the court that Maraj has been made a victim twice – once by his abductors and then by the Police.He petitioned for bail to be granted, disclosing to the chief Magistrate that his client’s travel documents are with the Police and as such, he is not a flight risk.Police Prosecutor Arvin Moore, however, objected to bail being granted as a result of the seriousness of the offence.He also noted that the accomplices, allegedly also Trinidadian, of the accused have still not been arrested by Police. He explained that if placed on bail, Maraj might use the opportunity to escape. As such, the prosecution’s submissions were upheld, and Maraj was remanded to prion until November 16.Reports are that the Trinidadian arrived in Guyana and was scheduled to check in at the Ramada Hotel, Providence but never showed up there.According to reports, the parents of the victim were contacted in Trinidad via cell phone by an unknown person who indicated that their son was in custody in Guyana and a sum of money was later demanded for his release.A photograph of the man shirtless with a cutlass to his neck was sent to his parents as proof of his detention.However, following investigations by the Police, it was reported that Police swooped down on a Madewini resort and found the man relaxing comfortably with his alleged accomplices.Detectives then began to unravel an apparent scheme by the man to extort money from his relatives.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *