Chief Executive Officer of the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA), Frederick Flatts, said some systems are already in place for the agency to assume control of the maintenance of drainage and irrigation canals previously controlled by the now reorganised Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo).Frederick Flatts“We have received some additional money to carry out those works. So, we have had discussions with GuySuCo to that end, and shortly, the NDIA will take over that responsibility,” Flatts told the Department of Public Information (DPI) in a recent interview.Additionally, Flatts said the NDIA will strive to have a smooth transition of workers from GuySuCo to the agency. The CEO also said there is not likely to be any redundancy of workers from this take-over.“We will ask GuySuCo to carry out the works and GuySuCo will decide what they do. It is expected they will have the same staff. The way we discussed with GuySuCo is that at least for the first, we will have to depend upon them [GuySuCo] to assist. For example, with the pump stations, we do not want to go there and remove all the men and take new men.So, virtually we would have the same people. It makes sense to continue to use the people who were employed by GuySuCo and I suspect it is the same thing which will happen with the drains the canals, the structures,” the CEO explained.GuySuCo throughout its years of operation has played a strategic role in the maintenance of drainage and irrigation canals linking several communities across the coastlands of Guyana. With its reorganisation, many were concerned about these canals being left to become clogged and dysfunctional, increasing the threat of floods when it rains heavily or drought which has the potential to destroy farmers’ produce during the dry season.
“We as northerners have a right to know what the best practices are, that we will know clearly what we are allowing industry to put in the ground to assist with the shale gas production,” he told the public broadcaster. “It’s an imminently reasonable request.” For example while fracking two horizontal wells in Tulita, approximately 700 kilometres north of Fort Nelson, ConocoPhillips must disclose all the chemicals it uses, but not those considered to be “trade secrets”. Alberta oil patch consultant Jessica Ernst says those undisclosed chemicals can especially be an issue in the north. “If a worker is covered in chemicals, how is the hospital to deal with that emergency or that person, how is the helicopter pilot to cope if he is flying a victim in a chopper, which often happens in remote areas, how is that pilot to cope with breathing in the chemicals coming off that patient,” she tells the CBC. – Advertisement -Miltenberger hopes the government’s guidelines will be available for public review this fall.To read the full article by the CBC, click here.Advertisement
0Shares0000Vince McMahon, pictured in 2014, said the eight-team XFL — a reboot of the competition which lasted for one season in 2001 — would kick off in 2020 © GETTY/AFP/File / Ethan MillerLOS ANGELES, United States, Jan 26 – World wrestling tycoon Vince McMahon announced plans to relaunch a new American football league on Thursday, revealing that players would be forced to stand for the national anthem and barred from promoting social issues through the sport.McMahon, the 72-year-old billionaire owner of WWE, said the eight-team XFL — a reboot of the competition which lasted for one season in 2001 — would kick off in 2020. News of the launch comes as the National Football League prepares to bring the curtain down on the most tumultuous season in its history following a protracted furore involving President Donald Trump.Trump triggered uproar last September after branding players who kneeled during the anthem in protest at social injustice as “sons of bitches” who should be fired.The US leader also later attacked the NFL for refusing to introduce a rule making it mandatory for players to stand.McMahon said Thursday his rebooted XFL — billed as delivering “all the things you like to see, and less of the things you don’t” — would be a politics-free zone.“I have no idea whether or not President Trump will support this,” McMahon said.“Let me say as far as our league is concerned it will have nothing to do with politics, and nothing to do with social issues either. We’re there to play football. We want really good football, and that’s what the fans want too.“When they tune in I don’t know if they want to be dealing with social issues and things of that nature. And that’s what we’re going to deliver.”– Criminals not welcome –Asked if it would be written into the league rules that players are required to stand, McMahon added: “There will be a booklet to make sure that all the players understand the rules.“We intend for everyone to abide by those rules. As far as the national anthem is concerned, I think this: the national anthem is a time-honoured tradition that is played to this day and many years in the past in our country; whatever our rules are are what our players will abide by.”McMahon also said the new league would also bar entry to any player with a criminal record.“The quality of the human being is important,” McMahon said.“You want someone that has does not have any criminality whatsoever associated with them. In the XFL, If you have a DUI (driving under the influence) you will not play in the XFL.”McMahon said the new league would aim to produce quicker games than the NFL, scrapping half-time in order to get the games finished inside two hours.Cities hosting the eight franchises had yet to be decided, but McMahon said it was likely teams would be based in areas which already host NFL teams.“You want to play football where football is played,” he said. “The intent is to play where a lot of the NFL teams play. Every city is on our radar.”The launch comes as the NFL faces enduring concerns about the long-term health risks of playing the sport. McMahon insisted player safety in the new league would be paramount.“Reimagining the game of football means we are reimagining it at all levels including safety and that’s what we’ll do,” McMahon said. “We want to make it as safe as possible but still football.“We’re going to bring in experts who are going to help us, we’re going to listen to medical experts and heed their advice and make it as safe as possible.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Charlie McConalogue TD has appealed to the Minister for Social Protection to ensure there are no delays in issuing back to school allowances for Donegal schoolchildren.Parents across County Donegal will be informed by the end of this week if they are entitled to the Back to School Clothing & Footwear Allowance this year.However many parents across Donegal were left waiting for a long time before they could get any allowance despite being legally entitled to it. “Last year was the first year of a new automated system of Back to School Allowance payments.“The system was riddled with delays and administrative problems last year, with tens of thousands of families waiting well into the school year for their applications to be processed.“Many families in Co Donegal who depend on the payment to help them cope with the cost of the new school term were left in serious financial difficulty as a result.“I am sincerely hoping that Minister Burton has addressed all of these problems and has taken steps to ensure that such large scale delays do not happen again this year. “Anyone in Donegal who is unsure of their entitlements or needs help with an application form can contact my office,” said Deputy McConalogueParents will be notified by letter this week if they will automatically receive Back to School Allowance payments this summer. The rates are €150 for children between the age of 4 and 11 years and €250 for children between 12 and 22 years.“Families who do not receive notification of an automatic payment by June 20th can fill out an application form, which will be processed at the centralised unit in Letterkenny,” revealed Deputy McConalogue.THERE MUST BE NO DELAYS IN BACK TO SCHOOL ALLOWANCES FOR DONEGAL CHILDREN – MCCONALOGUE was last modified: June 12th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BACK TO SCHOOL ALLOWANCECharlie McConalogue
A Co Donegal postman needed medical treatment after being attacked in Letterkenny yesterday.The postman was attacked by a crow in Letterkenny.But the culprit wasn’t an angry dog or even a mugger – but a crow.The postman was doing his rounds in the morning when he was suddenly attacked in the head by the winged warrior. The postie was pecked in the head from behind and was forced to have a tetanus injection as a precaution.However the postal worker has made a full recovery.His encounter with the crow has not gone unnoticed by his workmates, however.One of his colleagues even treated the man to a rendition of the Birdie Song when he arrived for work the next day. POSTMAN LEFT IN A FLAP AFTER CROW ATTACK was last modified: May 28th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:attackcrowdonegalletterkennypostmantetanus injection
Tags: 2019 Netball WorldBetty KizzaIrene EyaryJesca AchanJoan NampunguLightning’s MaryLilian AjioMartha SoigiMuyamina NamuwayaPeace ProscoviaRacheal NanyongaRuth MeemeShaffie Nalwajjashe cranesStella NanfukaStella OyellaSylvia Nanyongatop The She Cranes confirmed qualification for the World cup last year. (PHOTOS/AGENCIES)KAMPALA – The Netball Federation of Uganda has confirmed the She Cranes squad that will take part in the 2019 World Cup.The She Cranes sealed their ticket to the Netball showpiece last year and will be one of the teams that will take part in the World Cup slated for July 12th to 21st in Liverpool, England.The squad features 12 players and also has three reserves, just in case.Seven of the 12 players that featured in the last World Cup in 2015, have returned to the tea while the other five are set for their maiden appearance at the showpiece.Team Captain and Sunshine Coast Lightening star Peace Proscovia will once again lead the team. She is joined by Lilian Ajio, Jesca Achan, Ruth Meeme, Racheal Nanyonga, Sylvia Nanyonga, and Stella Oyella as the 7 that featured in Sydney.Proscovia will once again captain the side.The other five who join the team are Stella Nanfuka, Loughborough Lightning’s Mary, Betty Kizza, Joan Nampungu and Muyamina Namuwaya.The three reserves that have been named include Shaffie Nalwajja, Martha Soigi and Irene Eyary.The technical team will be led by Vincent Kiwanuka, assisted by Nelson Bogere.At the World Cup, Uganda is in Group D alongside hosts-England, Scotland and Samoa.She Cranes Squad will be at the World Cup–Peace Proscovia-Mary Nubba Cholhok-Lilian Ajio-Jesca Achan-Ruth Meeme-Betty Kizza-Racheal Nanyonga-Sylivia Nanyonga-Joan Nampugu-Stella Oyella-Stella Nanfuka-Muhaimuna NamuwayaReserves–Shaffie Nalwajja-Martha Soigi-Irene EyaruOfficials–Vincent Kiwanuka (Head Coach)-Nelson Bogere (Assistant)-Ataro Ayella (Primary Care)-Alice Alwenyi (Primary Care)-Linna Okee (Statistician)-Wilberforce Mutete (Physical Trainer)-Imelda Nyongesa (Top-Director Coaches)-Jocelyn Uchanda (Team Manager)Comments
Test your Rangers knowledge. See how many of these five questions you can answer correctly…[wp-simple-survey-13]Click here for yesterday’s QPR quizClick here for Wednesday’s QPR quizClick here for Tuesday’s QPR quizClick here for Monday’s QPR quizFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Johannesburg, Tuesday 02 April 2019 – Brand South Africa says that during quarter four of the 2018/2019 financial year, business confidence indicators took a distinct negative turn. This analysis stems from the Bureau for Economic Research (BER) Business Confidence Index (BCI), which gathers input from 1700 business executives in South Africa.The BER BCI reasons that the weakening business confidence is wide-ranging, and can be attributed the following factors: Eskom and load shedding; strike action in certain sectors; revelations on State Capture from the Zondo Commission of Inquiry; as well as residual concerns regarding policy uncertainty – mainly due to the approaching National Elections in South Africa.The BER BCI covers five economic sectors that are most sensitive to cyclical up and down turns in the economy – namely: Building/Construction; Manufacturing; Retail; Wholesale; and Automotive/New vehicle sales.Dr Petrus de Kock, the General Manager for Research for Brand South Africa says the BER BCI points out that at a total level, strong business confidence in the SA economy was last seen in quarter 2 of the 2017/2018. “In addition to the influences mentioned above that contributed to weakening business confidence, it is apparent that fundamental economic activity indicators weakened substantially – thus contributing to weaker business confidence.“From our analysis, the BER BCI average activity indicators for 2019 are now at a similar level to the first quarters of Q1 2017 and 2009. This is a sobering picture of weak GDP expansion, and slipping business confidence, all of which impacts on the reputation of the Nation Brand negatively,” says Dr de Kock.However, Dr de Kock says that this outlook is expected to improve after the May 2019 general elections. “We welcome these findings as they provide us with guidance on strategic focus areas that we need to improve on. We as Brand South Africa call on all partners across all sectors to reinforce the investment drive in order to restore business confidence – not only among investors but also for our citizens. While there are internal challenges to the economy, South Africa also needs to pay close attention to weakness in the global economy, uncertainty caused by trade war dynamics, emerging economic nationalism in so-called advanced economies, and isolationist tendencies.“Brand South Africa will share with stakeholders a much more detailed analysis and will be working with stakeholders to establish focused efforts to implement measures that address the challenges highlighted in the document,” concludes Dr de Kock.
Rishabh Pant may not have been named in India’s 15-member squad for the ICC Champions Trophy but he is pretty much in the scheme of things for the future, said chief selector MSK Prasad.The selection committee recalled fit-again Rohit Sharma and Mohammed Shami into the fold while named Rishabh Pant, Kuldeep Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Suresh Raina and Dinesh Karthik in the stand-by players list.Pant has been in an impressive form in the ongoing 10th edition of the Indian Premier League, with 281 runs from 11 matches.Prasad said Pant has a long future and was left out of the 15-man squad because of team combination.”We are completely impressed by how Rishabh Pant is playing. It’s just combination because of which he missed out.He is one cricketer we are looking at for our future. He is definitely a solution for our future,” Prasad said.WATCH: BCCI NAMES SQUAD FOR ICC CHAMPIONS TROPHYThe selection committee chairman believed that the Delhi youngster has a long career and the BCCI will do everything possible to enhance the wicketkeeper-batsman’s skills.”There is no need to worry as he has a long career ahead of him. We will groom him and back him. We will ensure that he is successful in future,” the chairman explained.Pant is seen as replacement for MS Dhoni after he retires from international cricket. The 19-year-old got his maiden India call during the three-match Twenty20 internationals series against England in January this year.
By Saumojyoti S ChoudhuryBhubaneswar, Dec 6 (PTI) Hockey India League (HIL) will make a grand return in 2019 and will serve as the season- ending event to a busy international calendar, Hockey India CEO Elena Norman confirmed today.There had been doubts over the leagues future after the organisers scrapped the 2018 edition.While postponing, the organisers had claimed that the move was needed to review the five seasons of the league.Putting to rest doubts over its future, the HI CEO said HIL will come back stronger in November-December 2019. Exact dates of the event were yet to be finalised.”HIL will return at the end of 2019. It is on track. We are working with FIH for the window. We havent finalised the exact window yet,” Norman said on the sidelines of the ongoing Hockey World League (HWL) Final here.”Everyone likes to make money. Everyone likes to make sure that you have the best possible scenario in place. We still have little bit of time to relook at everything. We have already confirmed to our broadcaster for 2019.”We will need to reconfirm with FIH because they will also have a qualifying event leading upto 2020 Tokyo Olympics and that will happen before the HIL so that the players are free,” added Norman, who is also a member of the HIL Governing Committee.The next mens hockey World Cup is scheduled to be held at the Kalinga Stadium here from November 28 to December 16 next year and the HI CEO said they have got the necessary approvals for the conduct of the tournament.advertisementPakistan are one of 16 participating teams in the World Cup, but their participation remains in doubt as they failed to turn up for last years Junior World Cup in Lucknow owing to diplomatic tensions between the two nations.Norman said like any other competing nation, Pakistan is also welcome and it is upto them to follow the procedures and ensure smooth processing of visas.”They (Pakistan) are welcome here like every other team. We have got permission from Ministry of Youth Affairs for the conduct of the tournament, which includes 16 teams, and Pakistan is part of the 16 teams.”We have also written to the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of External Affairs and we have got permission from one of the two and the other approval is expected soon,” Norman said.”Now its upto Pakistan. Every country has a set of requirements which they need to complete for applying for visas. They need to provide all details.”She rubbished rumours that the World Cup might be shifted out of Bhubaneswar.”Absolutely not. I am not sure from where anyone heard that,” a bemused Norman said.The HI CEO said the Kalinga Stadium will sport a completely new look for next years mega-event.”This pitch is three years old and it will be changed for the World Cup. The practice pitches will be changed. Construction work will finish by the end of May. After that we will be laying the pitch and it will require two months for that. Before the monsoon everything will be complete,” Norman said. PTI SSC AH AH