The Supreme Court Wednesday questioned banned cricketer S Sreesanth for not immediately bringing it to the notice of BCCI that he was being approached for alleged spot-fixing during the Indian Premier League (IPL) match in 2013.The apex court observed that conduct of Sreesanth, who is facing life ban for his alleged involvement in the sensational spot-fixing scandal, in the entire episode was “not good”.Sreesanth, who was discharged by a trial court in 2015 in a criminal case related to alleged spot-fixing, told a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and K M Joseph that life ban imposed on him by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) was harsh and there was no evidence to substantiate the claim that he was indulged in any illegality.The 35-year-old cricketer has challenged in the apex court the decision of a division bench of the Kerala High Court which restored the ban imposed on him.Senior advocate Salman Khurshid, appearing for Sreesanth, said it was not established that any spot-fixing was done in the match played between IPL teams Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab at Mohali in May 2013 and there was no evidence that the cricketer had received any payment for doing this.”Why didn’t you (Sreesanth) bring it immediately to the notice of the board (BCCI)?,” the bench asked Khurshid after he referred to recorded telephonic conversations between alleged bookies.The senior counsel said Sreesanth had failed to inform the board about him being approached for spot-fixing but even if he did not do this, the maximum ban that could be imposed upon him was five years.advertisement”All this indicates that conduct of S Sreesanth was not good. There is no doubt about this,” the bench said.Khurshid argued that as per allegations, Sreesanth was supposed to concede 14 runs in an over but he gave away 13 runs in that over which he bowled to “two of the best batsmen” — Adam Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh.”At the worst, it could be said that I (Sreesanth) had the knowledge that somebody was trying to do fixing and I should have brought it to the notice of the authorities. If that is the case, the total ban could be up to five years,” he said.He said world over ban has been imposed on cricketers for indulging in such activities and except former South African captain Hansie Cronje, who later died in 2002 in a plane crash, life ban was not imposed on anyone.Khurshid referred to the case of former Indian captain Mohammad Azharuddin, who was accused for his alleged involvement in a match fixing scandal of 2000, and said that life ban was imposed on him but later it was reversed.On November 8, 2012, the Andhra Pradesh High Court had termed the life ban imposed by the BCCI on Azharuddin in match fixing scandal as illegal and said it is unsustainable in law.”My (Sreesanth) desire is to get back my honour,” Khurshid told the bench, adding, “Ultimately, I am wasting my professional career. At least, let me play outside India. Every year, I am getting offers to play.”I have been given life ban for an offence which is not at all established,” he said, adding that there was no evidence of payment of Rs 10 lakh to Sreesanth for the alleged fixing.Khurshid said recorded telephonic conversations did not show that the match was fixed and evidence produced by Delhi Police was not accepted by the trial court.Senior advocate Parag Tripathi, appearing for Committee of Administrators (CoA) of BCCI, raised the issue of veracity of translation of the telephonic conversations referred to by Sreesanth’s counsel and said he needs to file a reply on this.Tripathi said he would also respond to the additional documents filed by the petitioner.The bench asked Tripathi to file his response and posted the matter for further hearing on February 20.The apex court said that Sreesanth’s counsel may also file the certified copy of complete transcripts of telephonic conversations that have been brough on record.Sreesanth had earlier told the top court that he has offers to play English County matches and life ban imposed on him by the BCCI is “too harsh”.The apex court had last year asked the Delhi High Court to decide expeditiously the appeal filed by the Delhi Police challenging a trial court order discharging several accused, including Sreesanth, in the alleged spot-fixing case.The Delhi Police had arrested Sreesanth, along with cricketers Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, and others on alleged charges of spot fixing during the IPL in 2013.advertisementAs many as 36 accused in the spot-fixing case, including Sreesanth, Chavan and Chandila, were discharged by a trial court here in July 2015.The BCCI had, however, refused to alter its disciplinary decision of life ban on Sreesanth even after the trial court’s verdict.A single-judge bench of the Kerala High Court had lifted the life ban imposed on Sreesanth by the BCCI and had set aside all proceedings against him initiated by the board.Later, a division bench of the high court had restored the ban on a petition filed by the BCCI against the single-judge bench’s order.Also Read | Slapping Sreesanth was a mistake, should never have done that: Harbhajan SinghAlso Read | What Harbhajan would have done had Sreesanth dropped Misbah in World T20 final
Debate on the Child Diversion Bill began in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (January 30).The Bill seeks to enable the implementation of child diversion measures in dealing with children who come into conflict with the law.Minister of Justice, Hon. Delroy Chuck, in opening the debate, noted that among the main objectives of the Bill are: ensuring that every child in conflict with the law is treated in a manner that recognises and upholds human dignity and worth; diverting the child away from engaging in deviant and delinquent behaviours; and instilling in the child respect for the fundamental rights and freedoms of others.The Bill will also see to the establishment of a Child Diversion office; Child Diversion Committees; and a Child Diversion Oversight Committee. It also addresses the structure of the Child Diversion programme, the circumstances under which a child is to be referred, among other things.Child diversion is a process of implementing measures for dealing with children who are alleged, accused or recognised to have infringed the penal law, without resorting to the formal judicial proceedings.“Gone are the days when we ignore a child’s circumstances and focus only on the wrong that he or she did,” Mr. Chuck said.He noted that research indicates that factors contributing to the number of children before the court include lack of adequate parental guidance, mental health issues and poverty, adding that it is therefore crucial that solutions are implemented to address the issues impacting these children and a holistic approach be taken towards addressing the underlying factors.“In most cases, diversion of children provide greater benefit to the offender, the victim, and the society than the formal criminal justice process. The challenges faced by children in conflict with the law in Jamaica has brought into sharp focus the necessity for legislation which recognises and upholds the basic human rights of children who face the prospect of being deprived of their liberty,” Mr. Chuck said.He added that as a party to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, Jamaica has a duty to put measures in place to deal with children who are accused of breaking the law, as they have the right to legal help and fair treatment in the justice system.A National Child Diversion Policy was tabled in 2015 after consultation with all major stakeholders in Government, civil society and non-governmental organisations. Through this policy, a formal framework was established for dealing with children in conflict with the law throughout the criminal justice system and sought to ensure that detention of a child offender as punishment for anti-social behaviour was a measure of last resort.One key objective of the policy was to develop the mechanism to not only divert children who come into conflict with the law, but also to empower them to become responsible and productive citizens through the use of methodologies which are consistent with restorative justice practices. Child diversion is a process of implementing measures for dealing with children who are alleged, accused or recognised to have infringed the penal law, without resorting to the formal judicial proceedings. One key objective of the policy was to develop the mechanism to not only divert children who come into conflict with the law, but also to empower them to become responsible and productive citizens through the use of methodologies which are consistent with restorative justice practices. Debate on the Child Diversion Bill began in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (January 30). Story Highlights
The former Reds player says many people will leave the country if they win the title, including his coworker Gary Neville.Jamie Carragher played for Liverpool all his professional life.He defended the Reds shirt from 1996 to 2013.And know, with Liverpool on first place in the English Premier League standings, he’s joking about all the people that say they will leave England if they win the title.“I hope so,” he was quoted by The Manchester Evening News.Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“There is no doubt Manchester is united tonight. United and City are as one.”“I think the majority of the United fans want City to come out on top,” he explained.“We’ve got a charter booked for the 27th of May,” his coworker and former footballer Gary Neville added.“There will be a million flights booked out of Manchester to the forests of the Amazon where there’s no wifi. We’re out of here, we’re gone. It’d be the season from hell.”
Other new editions to DEPARTURES’ portfolio are the Ultimate City Guides, 10 location-specific digital guides broken down into six categories containing editorially curated recommendations that will available for the iPhone and iPad starting September 1.The City Guides will be released in September, with the first guide focused on New York City; October’s Guide will feature Hong Kong in tandem with DEPARTURES’ Asia-themed issue; and the November Guide will showcase Miami. The seven remaining guides will be launched as a package in January, to coincide with the holidays. Guides are available for free download for subscribers.Each guide will include six categories: hotels, restaurants, shopping, bars/lounges, museums and galleries, as well as a VIP category. The first five categories will be updated every six months, while the VIP section (which will include current happenings in the Guide’s designated city) will be constantly updated by editorial staff. The Ultimate City Guides are sponsored by Omega. DEPARTURES is seeing strong growth this year, with a 24 percent increase in revenue and 16 percent increase in ad pages from September 2010’s issue vs. September 2011’s issue according to a company press statement. Of the growth in ad pages, DeLuca says, “What we’ve been able to focus on is the affluent customers and the companies that cater to them. We know that for our advertisers, the aspirational customer is gone. The more high-end advertisers need to focus on the people who have money and are going to continue to spend.” The average DEPARTURES reader’s income is $476,000 yearly.More on this topic Steve DeLuca DEPARTURES Sees 64 Percent Climb in Advertising Pages in First Half of 2011 Departures Sees Jump In Ad Revenue, Hikes Rate Base People On The Move | 10.18.12 People on the Move | 06.03.10 Editorial CalendarJust In Four More Execs Depart SourceMedia in Latest Restructuring PE Firm Acquires Majority Stake in Industry Dive Meredith Corp. Makes Digital-Side Promotions | People on the Move Editor & Publisher Magazine Sold to Digital Media Consultant TIME Names New Sales, Marketing Leads | People on the Move This Just In: Magazines Are Not TV NetworksPowered by DeLuca says, “The e-commerce option is only open to our advertising partners. There is no revenue share on the sale, but it is part of their working relationship with us through advertising and other marketing channels.” American Express’s DEPARTURES magazine is poised to enter the e-commerce space in early October, offering limited edition products through its new eEXCLUSIVES campaign. eEXCLUSIVES are retail items available for e-commerce purchase, with offers from DEPARTURES advertising partners such Saks Fifth Avenue, Akris and Brunello Cucinelli. Steve DeLuca, DEPARTURES vice president and publisher, says limited edition offers will typically run about two weeks. While there are no discounts being offered to buyers, the products featured in eEXCLUSIVES are available only to American Express Platinum and Centurion credit card holders.Advertisements for eEXCLUSIVES will be featured in the print magazine as well as the DEPARTURES home page. Details and purchasing options will be placed behind a firewall, and users will have to authenticate their identity to access the products.
WILMINGTON, MA — Below is an announcement from We’re One Wilmington:Congratulations to Sue Hendee, Shawsheen School Physical Education Teacher, for being selected as the 2019 WOW School Staff Recognition Award recipient. Winners are selected annually from nominations submitted by school staff and WOW members. Winners demonstrate a commitment to community service by going above and beyond the expectations of their job to incorporate the concept of community service into their classrooms or the Wilmington school system.Sue organizes the Wilmington Kids Pan Mass Challenge, which is a huge undertaking. This year alone roughly $20,000 was raised to fight cancer. This is in addition to riding the adult Pan Mass Challenge herself – a rigorous 2-day bike-a-thon.Sue is also well-known as the WHS Varsity Girls soccer coach. In addition to her coaching role, she spearheads a collaborative fundraising effort with Stoneham High School (boys and girls soccer teams from both schools participate), which raises money for Breast Cancer Research.These are just two of many examples of why Sue is so deserving of this award.Thank you to Sue for the countless hours of time spent – above and beyond what would ever be expected – to spread the spirit of community service throughout our school system!Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington High School Wins Eastern Mass. Girls Soccer Coaches Association’s Program Of Excellence AwardIn “Sports”SCHOOL COMMITTEE NEWS: District Honors WHS Girls Soccer Coach Sue HendeeIn “Education”Wilmington High’s Diana Hill & Mary Lou McDonough Receive WOW’s School Staff Recognition AwardIn “Education”
File PhotoMalnutrition, poor sanitary conditions and diseases in refugee settlements is potentially catastrophic for Rohingya children who have fled Myanmar, UNICEF warns.It has found many children both in camps and among new arrivals ‘severely acutely malnourished’.”Some children are close to death by the time they make it across the border,” the UN body said in a news release issued simultaneously from Geneve, New York and Dhaka on Friday.”We are working to get a clear understanding on the extent of acute malnutrition among Rohingya child refugees,” it said.UNICEF mentioned that a nutrition survey is underway which will provide data in November.However, according to its screening at the border on 16-18 October, 33 out of 340 children screed, were found to be severely acutely malnourished. Its purpose was to identify children who needed immediate, life-saving treatment, UNICEF said.Screening conducted on sick children who were brought to a Medecins Sans Frontieres clinic reportedly found 14 severely acutely malnourished cases among 103 children.So far, UNICEF and partners had screened 59,604 children among refugees who have taken shelter in Bangladesh since 25 August, and identified 1,970 as severely acutely malnourished , and 6,971 as moderately acutely malnourished.These numbers roughly correspond to the pre-crisis malnutrition rates – which were already above the emergency threshold – 21.2 perr cent global acute malnutrition and 3.6 per cent severe acute malnutrition, according to a survey conducted in May 2017 in makeshift settlements.In Myanmar’s Rakhine state, malnutrition rates in Maungdaw and Buthidaung townships, where the vast majority of refugees come from, were also already above emergency thresholds.”Since 25 August, we have had to stop treating 4,000 children with severe acute malnutrition in northern Rakhine because we have had no access,” UNICEF said.
The detective branch of narcotics control department (DNC) detained a Rohingya man with 35000 yaba pills on Tuesday night from Teknaf’s Jadimura area of Hnila Union in Cox’s Bazar.The arrestee, Rashid Ullah, is a son of Bashir Ahmed hailing from Dongkhali of Mongdu in Myanmar.Being tipped-off, they arrested Rashid Ullah with 35000 pieces of Yaba in a polythene bag from the area, said DNC assistant director Md Zillur Rahman.Rashid was then handed over to Teknaf police station. A case has been filed against him.The officer in charge of Teknaf model police station, Md Mainuddin Khan said, Rashid will be presented in Cox’s Bazar judicial magistrate court on Wednesday.